Saturday, November 12, 2011

Day Twelve - The Home Stretch

Word Count - 40111


Ah yes, lovely, lovely word count. 40111 words combined to make up over a hundred pages that will take me most of December to turn into something almost readable. I am SO PROUD! I just wrote a total piece of crap! LOL

I was back reading my blogs last night and I came to the one from just before NaNo started where I was talking about how I was going to take it slow and enjoy the ride.  I have to admit a little kick in the gut over that one, but the truth is - even as I wrote it, in the back of my mind I pretty much knew it was bullshit.

I was that kid in kindergarten who rushed through making a Popsicle stick picture frame for Mothers Day because I wanted to be the first one done. It was lopsided, there was a ton of glitter on one side but not a single sparkle on the other, and the picture warped crookedly when it was slid inside. I didn't care, because I was the first done in my class and I knew my mom was going to love it no matter how lousy it was.

That's the great thing about NaNoWriMo, it is okay to make crap. The point isn't making something great, it is about making something, anything, so on December 1st we can say "Hey, I did it!"

I guess I am particularly pleased because to be honest, despite my bravado coming into this thing, I honestly didn't think I would make it this far.  Life isn't being particularly kind and stress is a zapper for creativity. I almost scrapped the whole thing, I am so glad now that I didn't. These have been the best twelve days in a year that has been filled with stress, worry and disappointment. Crossing the finish line is going to be sweeter than it's ever been.

Last year I finished on November 12th, a year ago today. I won't be repeating that I am sure, but I am hoping to finish tomorrow. If I don't, that's okay too, because I am pretty sure that I will finish and that's more important than when. But even when I have achieved word 50,000, NaNo won't be over for me. I am going to keep going, maybe I can set a personal word record. I finished somewhere around 72k last year, I've plenty of time to beat that. Hell, maybe I'll even take on that damn plot bunny that's been playing in the grass on the other side.

The only thing I know for sure is that I am going to ride this thing until midnight November 30th, and then I am going to celebrate with Sushi.

And on December 1st, I'll start counting down to November 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment